Vine Street Temple
Jewish community began in the 1840s. Many early families were immigrants
fleeing oppression in Germany, Russia, and Poland. Completed in 1876,
the Vine Street Temple, with nine Byzantine domes was Nashvilles
first synagogue, for 80 years a symbol of the citys strong Jewish
presence. In 1955, the Reform congregation moved to West Nashville where
it and other Jewish congregations continue today. Location: Commerce
Street and Seventh Avenue, North"
The Temple is the oldest and largest Jewish house of worship in Nashville.
Congregation Ohabai Sholom was established in 1851 and was known as
the Vine Street Temple. When the Union of American Hebrew Congregations
was formed in 1873, the Temple was one of its founding members.