Tennessee State Capitol
Capitol hill, Charlotte
Avenue between Sixth and Seventh Avenues, was purchased in 1844 by
the city of Nashville from Judge G. W. Campbell for $30,000. Alternately
known as Campbell's Hill and Cedar Knob, this area had been the burial
place for earlier Indian inhabitants.
A commission was formed
in 1845 and after sorting through many submissions from architects,
a design by William Strickland was decided upon.