to County Court minutes, architect W. Francis Strickland, son of William
Strickland, designer of the Tennessee State Capitol, was "employed
at a salary of one thousand dollars per annum as architect of the court
house." The design chosen by Strickland was very similar to that
of the Capitol building designed by his father. The building was to
have a basement and three stories above ground, and was to be 118 feet
by 72 feet in size. The Court first met in the new building in January
1859. The building was remodeled in 1910 with an additional story added.
In 1935 this building, along with the City Hall and Market House, was
demolished to make room for a new courthouse."