Federal Building/Customs House
Photo courtesy Mike Slate
The cornerstone was laid Sept. 19, 1877, by President Rutherford B. Hayes
on the first visit of a president to the South since the Civil War.
Opened in 1882 at 701 Broadway, it originally housed the city's post office on the ground floor. The federal Treasury Department offices were on the second, and Justice Department and courtrooms on the third.