The Savage House
History of the old house: The lot was part of a land grant given to John Overton in the 1700's and later to George Deaderick then to Jacob Lindsley. The house is believed to have been built by Mary Clayborn in 1859. The original address was 139 North Spruce Street. In 1893 it was used as a Jewish men's club called "The Standards Club". Around this time time, a ballroom was added to the back of the home and Nashville's first Bowling Alley was placed in the basement. In 1898 the house was sold to Dr. Giles and Leslie Savage. Dr. Savage was an eye surgeon who used the basement of the ballroom as an infirmary. His daughter Kate Savage Zerfoss also an eye doctor and owned the house until 1980. The city directory lists the property in 1953 as the "Savage Studios."