Click Here for
Preston Taylor, a black millionaire, was a minister, undertaker, and
philanthropist. The Preston Taylor Homes on Clifton Avenue in Nashville
are named for him.
Taylor owned the land on which Greenwood Cemetery sits today (1998) and
much of the surrounding property. The location was near the present intersection
of Elm Hill Pike and Spence Lane. He built a large home for his family
on site and in 1905 he opened an amusement park for Nashville’s
black citizens on a section of the property. The site was at the end
of the Fairfield Street trolley line, with the entrance to the park being
on Lebanon Road.
The park is said to have had rides and amusements. Other facilities included
a swimming pool and ball diamond. It was the site of the annual Black
State Fair and a Boy Scout summer camp. Additionally Fourth of July celebrations
were held at the park.
Taylor died in the 1930’s. One report indicates that his widow
attempted to keep the park open but that it died out sometime in the
1940’s. Another states that the park was left to the Disciples
of Christ Church which closed it in the late 1940’s. At that time
there were attempts by the black community and the Nashville Park Board
to retain the site as a public park, but the efforts failed.
Nothing remains of Greenwood Park. Some of the site is now the right-of-way
the Seaboard Coast Line railroad and apartments occupy another portion
of the land.
Resources & References
Johnson, Leland R., The Parks of Nashville. (Nashville: Metropolitan
Nashville Board of Parks and Recreation, 1986).
The Nashville Banner, September 4, 1981.