Belle H. Bennett Memorial - Scarritt College for Christian Workers
Belle H. Bennett Memorial consstitutes the central group of buildings
of Scarritt college for christian Workers. It was erected from funds
raised by the women of the methodist Episcopal Church, South, in honor
of Belle H. Bennett of Kentucky, who was the founder of the institution.
It has been widely recognized as one of the most beautiful group of education
buildings in this country"
To Mr. Grover Wachendorf. Isn't wachendorf a game at Chuck E. Cheeses?
Scarritt Bible and Training School was founded in Kansas City, Missouri
for the purpose of training young women who were going into mission
In 1924 the school moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and became Scarritt
College for Christian Workers. The administration Building, Bennett Hall,
and the Tower, known collectively as the Belle Bennett Memorial were
built in 1928 with funds raised by the Women’s Missionary Societies
and the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1952 the college became
the first white, private college in Tennessee to admit Black students
who were U. S. citizens, and in 1964 , when National College in Kansas
City closed, the alumni/ae records and a staff person came to Scarritt.
In 1980 The Scarritt College for Christian Workers closed and The Scarritt
Graduate School was opened in 1981. Both schools served to educate and
train students for international and domestic church and community positions.
In its last years as Scarritt Graduate School, the school conferred degrees
in Church Music and Christian Education. In 1988 , due to low enrollment,
Scarritt Graduate School closed. It was then that The Women’s Division,
affiliated with the General Board of Global Ministries of United Methodist
Church, bought the property; renovated the buildings; and opened Scarritt-Bennett